Star Wars – Original Costume Tour
Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, MI
Tuesday July 31st, 2018 | 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM
Please join Viscosity and Oracle for a tour of the Star Wars and the Power of Costume Exhibit at the Detroit Institute of Arts. Attendees will gain valuable insight into new features of the Oracle Cloud and Oracle Database 12.2/18c! Attendees will also have a chance to win an Oracle Exadata book, gift cards and other swag. Food and Beverage will be provided.
Sign up below to reserve your seat for lunch + 12.1/18c and the tour. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
11:00 am – 11:30 am – Registration/Lunch
11:30 am – 12:30 pm – Presentation
Why you should upgrade to Oracle Database 12c Release 2 (Oracle 12.2 and 18c)
by Charles Kim, Viscosity
Oracle continues to be the fastest, state-of-the-art, revolutionary database in the world. Oracle Database 18c, now available for on-premise customers, has been generally available for Oracle Cloud and Engineered Systems customers since February 2018. Soon, you will be able to unlock the full potential of the new database features and transform your IT operations.
Companies can recognize immediate ROI by upgrading to Oracle Database 12c Release 2 and 18c. Come and learn what you will gain when you upgrade to the latest and greatest release of Oracle Database to:
- Achieve another level of data scalability and horizontal partitioning with Sharding
- Attain higher levels of SLA with new features in Data Guard
- Eliminate downtime with enhanced online features for table and index maintenance
- Scale performance exponentially with In-Memory (IM) Column store; in Oracle 12cR2 there are additional In-Memory enhancements (including IM Virtual Columns)
- Tackle Partitioning and Index advancements in 12.2 and 18c
- Secure your entire database with online encryption capabilities
- Take advantage of Oracle 12cR2, object names for users, roles, tables, columns, indexes, constraints, etc., increase from 30 bytes to 128 bytes with a few limitations to easily migrate from other databases
- Leverage Approximate Query Functions for performance
- Utilize Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) features like Automatic Data Optimization (ADO) and Heat Maps work within individual PDBs for effective management of storage resources based on actual data usage patterns
- Leverage all the latest features such as cloning and replication features for PDBs (Pluggable Databases) that enable the journey to a private, hybrid, or public cloud environment.
- With 12cR2, you can have hot-cloning (source no longer needs to be read-only), refresh clones, flashback PDB only, and build PDB-level standby plans
- Tightly control SGA, PGA, and I/O resources for individual PDBs, including how to construct standard PDB resource profiles that can be leveraged by multiple PDBs with similar resource demands
*Oracle customers need to upgrade to Oracle 12.2 by the end of this year if they are on Oracle versions 11.2. For Oracle customers who are on Oracle version 12.1, they need to upgrade to Oracle version 12.2 by July 2019.
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm – Walk through Star Wars Exhibit and Network
Meet The Speakers
President and Founder, Viscosity North AmericaCharles Kim is an Oracle ACE Director, a VMware vExpert, an Oracle Certified DBA, a Certified Exadata Implementation Specialist, and a Certified RAC Expert. Charles specializes in RAC, Exadata, Cloud, complex data replication, and virtualization and is the co-author of nine books on Oracle Database. Charles is the author of the Linux Recipes for Oracle DBAs book and holds certifications in Oracle, VMware, Red Hat Linux, and Microsoft with over 27 years of Oracle experience on mission- and business- critical databases. Charles presents regularly at local, regional, national, and international Oracle conferences, including COLLABORATE, VMware World, and Oracle OpenWorld, on topics of RAC, ASM, Cloud, Linux best practices, Data Guard best practices, VMware best practices, Oracle on VMware virtualization, and 7×24 high-availability considerations. Charles is the founder and president of Viscosity North America, a niche Oracle consulting company specializing in Exadata, RAC, virtualization, and Oracle Cloud. Charles is also the president of the Cloud SIG for the Independent Oracle User Group.
5200 Woodward Ave
July 31, 11:30am – 1:30pm