Register for Oracle Tech Day in the Woodlands, TX
Sessions by Database, Development, and Cloud Evangelists
February 8, 2018 | 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Join Viscosity’s upcoming Oracle Tech Day Houston event. Not in the area you want? Request another area of town (or the country!) and we’ll see where demand will take us next! Email email@example.com to suggest another location.
In 2017, Oracle adopted their Cloud First Policy; all new innovations in their flagship database technology stack will be deployed first in Oracle Public Cloud (Oracle Cloud) and eventually released for general availability to the public. With the release of Oracle Database 12c Release 2 (Oracle 12cR2), Oracle practiced what their policy stated it would do, they deployed Oracle Database 12c Release 2 to Oracle Cloud in September 2016 and eventually released it to the public in March 2017.
Come join Oracle ACE Director, Charles Kim, and Oracle APEX expert, Jerry Ward, as they speak about their favorite new features on Oracle Database 12cR2. Oracle 12cR2 is the fastest state-of-the-art revolutionary database in the world.
Register now to reserve your seat.
Space is Limited. You may also register for live streaming information only. (see check boxes below).
Meet the Speakers
Co-Founder, President, Viscosity North America
Charles Kim is an Oracle ACE Director, a VMware vExpert, an Oracle Certified DBA, a Certified Exadata Implementation Specialist, and a Certified RAC Expert. Charles specializes in RAC, Exadata, Cloud, complex data replication, and virtualization and is the co-author of nine books on Oracle Database. Charles holds certifications in Oracle, VMware, Red Hat Linux, and Microsoft, and has 30 years of experience on mission- and business- critical databases. Charles is also the president of the Cloud SIG for the Independent Oracle User Group.
Charles presents regularly at local, regional, national, and international Oracle conferences, including COLLABORATE, VMware World, and Oracle OpenWorld, on topics of RAC, ASM, Cloud, Linux best practices, Data Guard best practices, VMware best practices, Oracle on VMware virtualization, and 7×24 high-availability considerations.
Chief Operating Officer, Viscosity North America
Rich Niemiec is the current Chief Innovation Officer of Viscosity North America. Rich is an Oracle Ace Director, a world renowned IT Expert, and was a co-founder and the CEO of TUSC, a Chicago-based systems integrator of Oracle-based business solutions started in 1988. Rich has served as President of Rolta TUSC and Rolta EICT.
Rich is the past President of the International Oracle Users Group (IOUG) and the current President of the Midwest Oracle Users Group (MOUG). Rich has architected and tuned many Fortune 500 systems over the past 25 years.
11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.:
12:00 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.:
1:45 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.:
2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.:
Presentation by Charles Kim
Presentation by Jerry Ward
How companies see immediate ROI by upgrading to Oracle12c
Charles Kim, Viscosity North America, President
Companies can significantly see immediate ROI by upgrading to Oracle12c by:
- Leveraging all the latest features such as cloning and replication features for PDBs (Pluggable Databases) that enable the journey to a private, hybrid, or public cloud environment.
- With 12cR2, you can have hot-cloning (source no longer needs to be read-only), refresh clones, flashback PDB only, and build PDB-level standby plans
- Tightly controlling SGA, PGA, and I/O resources for individual PDBs, including how to construct standard PDB resource profiles that can be leveraged by multiple PDBs with similar resource demands.
- Utilizing Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) features like Automatic Data Optimization (ADO) and Heat Maps work within individual PDBs for effective management of storage resources based on actual data usage patterns
- Achieving another level of data scalability and horizontal partition with Sharding
- Eliminating downtime with enhanced online features for table and partitioning and index maintenance
- Scaling performance exponentially with In-Memory (IM) Column store; in Oracle 12cR2 there are additional In-Memory enhancements (including IM Virtual Columns)
- Tackling Partitioning & Index advancements in 12c and 12cR2
- Securing your entire database with online encryption capabilities
- Taking advantage of Oracle 12cR2, object names for users, roles, tables, columns, indexes, constraints, etc., increase from 30 bytes to 128 bytes with a few limitations to easily migrate from other databases
- Leveraging Approximate Query Functions for performance
- Last but not least, Oracle 12c Release 2 for developers and development DBAs.
Charles will focus on these 3 main topics:
- Oracle Database 12c Release 1 and 2 New Features
- Integration and migration strategies to the latest Oracle hardware platform and/or to Oracle Cloud
– Leverage Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) Cloud Control 13c to rapidly provision databases with Snapshot/Cloning techniques
– Perform zero-downtime database migrations and upgrades
- Upgrading to Oracle Database 12c Release 2 in-place and out-of-place
Fall in love with Oracle APEX
Jerry Ward, Viscosity North America, Chief Operating Officer and Solutions Architect
Today, there are several tools available that assist in building complex web applications. Oracle Application Express (APEX) is a no additional cost, fully supported option for all Oracle Database editions, and starting with 11g is installed by default as part of the core database install. Come discover how APEX can be used to modernize Oracle Forms and Reports, provide functionality and reporting capabilities for PeopleSoft, E-Business Suite, and JD Edwards. See a demo of the most significant innovation of the past decade, Faceted Navigation built with Oracle Application Express and FOEX.
The Work Lodge
The Work Lodge
25700 I-45 North, Suite 400
The Woodlands, TX 77386