Register for Oracle Tech Day in Detroit, MI
IT Transformation with Oracle 12.2/18c/Autonomous Data Warehouse
March 28, 2018 | 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM
Come join Oracle ACE Directors, Charles Kim and Rich Niemiec as they speak about their favorite new features on Oracle Database 12c Release 2 (12cR2), 18c.
Oracle professionals fret about their future and the state of direction for the industry. Learn how you can prepare to evolve and adapt to the Changing Role of the DBA with Oracle 12cR2 and 18c as we discuss pertinent new features to help innovate at a time when companies must change to survive. Through this half-day, interactive deep-dive, you will learn upgrade approaches, methods, and best practices for a successful upgrade to Oracle 12cR2 as 11gR2 is going off of error-correction support in 2018.
Join Viscosity’s upcoming Oracle Tech Day Detroit event. Not in the area you want? Request another area of town (or the country!) and we’ll see where demand will take us next! Email email@example.com to suggest another location.
Register now to reserve your seat.
Space is Limited.
Meet the Speakers
Co-Founder, President, Viscosity North America
Charles Kim is an Oracle ACE Director, a VMware vExpert, an Oracle Certified DBA, a Certified Exadata Implementation Specialist, and a Certified RAC Expert. Charles specializes in RAC, Exadata, Cloud, complex data replication, and virtualization and is the co-author of nine books on Oracle Database. Charles holds certifications in Oracle, VMware, Red Hat Linux, and Microsoft, and has 30 years of experience on mission- and business- critical databases. Charles is also the president of the Cloud SIG for the Independent Oracle User Group.
Charles presents regularly at local, regional, national, and international Oracle conferences, including COLLABORATE, VMware World, and Oracle OpenWorld, on topics of RAC, ASM, Cloud, Linux best practices, Data Guard best practices, VMware best practices, Oracle on VMware virtualization, and 7×24 high-availability considerations.
Chief Innovation Officer, Viscosity
Rich Niemiec is the current Chief Innovation Officer of Viscosity North America. Rich is an Oracle Ace Director, a world renowned IT Expert, and was a co-founder and the CEO of TUSC, a Chicago-based systems integrator of Oracle-based business solutions started in 1988. Rich has served as President of Rolta TUSC and Rolta EICT.
Rich is the past President of the International Oracle Users Group (IOUG) and the current President of the Midwest Oracle Users Group (MOUG). Rich has architected and tuned many Fortune 500 systems over the past 25 years.
Following Tech Day, join Viscosity for happy hour, location TBD
1:30 – 3:00PM: Oracle Database 12.2 and 18c New Features
Oracle Database 12c Release 2 (Oracle 12.2) and 18c is the fastest state-of-the-art revolutionary database in the world. Companies can significantly see immediate ROI by upgrading to Oracle 12c/18c. Oracle customers need to upgrade to Oracle 12.2 and unlock the full potential of the new database features and transform their IT operations.
- With Oracle multi-tenant option, you can:
- Leverage all the latest features such as cloning and replication features for PDBs (Pluggable Databases) that enable the journey to a private, hybrid, or public cloud environment.
- With 12cR2, you can have hot-cloning (source no longer needs to be read-only), refresh clones, flashback PDB only, and build PDB-level standby plans
- Tightly control SGA, PGA, and I/O resources for individual PDBs, including how to construct standard PDB resource profiles that can be leveraged by multiple PDBs with similar resource demands.
- Utilize Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) features like Automatic Data Optimization (ADO) and Heat Maps work within individual PDBs for effective management of storage resources based on actual data usage patterns
- Achieve another level of data scalability and horizontal partitioning with Sharding
- Eliminate downtime with enhanced online features for table and index maintenance
- Scale performance exponentially with In-Memory (IM) Column store; in Oracle 12cR2 there are additional In-Memory enhancements (including IM Virtual Columns)
- Tackle Partitioning and Index advancements in 12c and 12cR2
- Secure your entire database with online encryption capabilities
- Take advantage of Oracle 12cR2, object names for users, roles, tables, columns, indexes, constraints, etc., increase from 30 bytes to 128 bytes with a few limitations to easily migrate from other databases
- Leverage Approximate Query Functions for performance
By adopting Oracle Database 12c Release 2 on-premise at your data center, you will be able to mitigate majority of the security concerns. You can reduce your Operating Expenses (OpEx) and achieve new levels of availability.
This session will look at Oracle’s Future direction for Oracle 18c, the Autonomous Data Warehouse Cloud, and specifically focus on Oracle Database 12c R1 & R2 features:
- Using Memory Target and the Buffer Cache
- Multiple indexes on the same Column & Fetch First x Rows
- In-Memory Virtual Columns
- Adaptive Execution Plans & Patch to fix issues
- Runaway query Management
- Online Move Partition and R2 Online Features for Partitions
- Partial Indexes for Partitioned Table
- Pluggable Databases (Includes Flashback PDB)
- Approximate Query new 12c R1 & R2 Features
- Quick In-Memory Tips with R1 & R2 New Features like In-Memory Joins
- Security Enhancements
- 18c New Features to look forward to and the future ahead
3:30 - 4:00PM: IT Transformation: Upgrade to Oracle Database 12.2/18c Considerations
We have an immediate need to upgrade our databases to either Oracle Database 12c Release 1 or Release 2 or even to 18c. In this session, we will discuss what it takes to upgrade to Oracle 12.2. We will look at potential issues that you will encounter and how to mitigate from potential risks. Lastly, we will discuss zero downtime upgrades to Oracle’s engineered systems and converged infrastructure.
4:00 - 4:30PM: DBA 3.0 - The future of the Oracle Database Professionals