Oracle Forms vs Oracle Apex
Forms and Apex are similar in many ways, one key difference is that Apex has a future whereas Forms and Reports do not.
- Oracle Forms renders applications using metadata stored in an .fmx file. Application Express renders applications using metadata stored in an Oracle database.
- Oracle Forms uses pixel exact positioning where Apex uses CSS positioning that is relative.
- Both Forms and Apex can call web services.
- Forms uses the BI Java Beans charting library, whereas, Oracle Apex uses Oracle JET charts as well as many others.
- Oracle Forms locks rows upon read (pessimistic locking), where Oracle Apex locks them just before update (Optimistic Locking).
- Oracle Forms uses a persistent database connection, one per Form. Apex uses a session pool and has its own session state management.